Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bass Guitar Transcriptions

Lots of people come to this blog seeking bass transcriptions -- and for good reason! Two sought out examples are Mike Leech's part on Bobby Womack's "Woman's Gotta Have It" and Tommy Cogbill on Dusty Springfield's "Son of a Preacher Man." Tommy's bass part was fully transcribed in the March 2006 issue of Bass Player Magazine, but I can't find it anywhere online. I can't find any transcription of Mike's part on Woman's Gotta Have It. Someday I will transcribe these two bass parts and post them on this site!

I found this interesting on-line course from Berklee School of Music -- lesson 10 reviews "Son of A Preacher Man." Looks like an excellent course -- too bad it's not free!

2 comments:

  1. Charizma5:05 PM

    Ha! Just spend the last 20 minutes trying to hunt down Woman's Gotta Have It. I've also seen the course at Berklee - it looks like a great course. I wish I had some more time in my life to take it (and play my bass).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charizma -- yes, the Berklee course looks very good but the cost is way too high. As I remember, "Woman's Gotta Have It" is in E minor and the tricky part for a bass player is that downward trending line that begins each verse (starting on the 2nd beat after the octave jump (from low E to high E)...I played this song in the seventies and that's the part I remember our bass player struggling with. Good luck and thanks for reading!

    -Allen

    ReplyDelete