Friday, June 24, 2016

Wayne Jackson, Memphis Horn trumpeter, dies aged 74












http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/wayne-jackson-dies-aged-74-77571#uWCRb6bhKgJI7jgj.99

From the site:
In 1969, Jackson and fellow Mar-Kay Andrew Love formed the Memphis Horns and worked at American Sound Studio in Memphis and FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

At Chips Moman‘s American Sound Studio, the Memphis Horns appeared on Presley’s “In the Ghetto” and “Suspicious Minds”, Dusty Springfield’s Dusty In Memphis album and Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline”.

Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/wayne-jackson-dies-aged-74-77571#uWCRb6bhKgJI7jgj.99

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:37 PM

    Hi Allen-

    Just found your “soulful” site in trying to track down Roben Jones . . . great stuff from my small sampling so far!

    The Memphis Boys have been under-appreciated for so many years, so it’s good to see someone with your knowledge and love of the music has undertaken to remedy that. I had been vaguely aware of their import for at least 15 yrs or so (mainly through Guralnick), but Roben’s book has added a tremendous body of information and insight to this vital subject.

    And one small typo, in your posting on Wayne Jackson’s passing, you refer to him as a former member of the “Mar-Kay(s)” . . . a crossing of Mar-keys/Bar-Kays” I’ve done verbally myself! I’m sure just about everybody reading it knew what you meant regardless.

    Thanks again for all of your hard work, and I’ll be back “on the reg” from now on.

    Best,
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doug. Thanks for your kind note. I should point out that I did not write the article that I linked to but that you are correct about the misspelling.

    Yes, Roben's book is great -- highly recommended.

    Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

    -Allen

    ReplyDelete