Saturday, April 22, 2006

Solomon Burke talks about Dan Penn's Writing

Comments from Solomon Burke about Dan Penn's writing...

Burke still gets excited when he talks about the smorgasbord of songwriters who contributed to the project. Dan Penn ("Dark End of the Street," "I'm Your Puppet") wrote the pleading, deep soul title track.

"Dan wrote a song for me 35 years ago, which was a great record in my life," Burke says.

In 1967, Penn and his songwriting partner, Spooner Oldham, wrote "Take Me (Just As I Am)," which Burke recorded at American Studios in Memphis. Burke says, "To come back with a song as hot as 'Don't Give Up on Me,' it touched my soul immediately."

The above was excerpted from an article on www.anti.com (Solomon's current label). Bio of Solomon is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment